Frequently Asked Questions About Process Service In Divorce

About Me
Discussing Ways To Maintain Family Relationships

Hi there, my name is Becky Witterman. Welcome. I would like to talk to you about the importance of maintaining strong family relationships. Throughout life, my family members have always been there for me through the good and bad times. Although we have had our fair share of arguments, we always return together to work out the next problem. I will talk about the techniques I use to ensure my relationships stay in good shape. I will also discuss the way family relationships change over time. Please feel free to visit my site often to learn more. Thanks for coming by.


Frequently Asked Questions About Process Service In Divorce

3 June 2016
 Categories: Relationships & Family, Blog

When you hire a company to serve papers on your behalf, you may have a lot of questions. Having somebody served can be a stressful process, especially if you are unfamiliar with the process. Your process server should make the job easier. It is also much easier when you have a full understanding of the way this service works. The answers to these frequently asked questions may help you.

What should I do after I have my spouse served with divorce papers?

Once your spouse has been served, you need to provide proof of service to the courts. Proof of service requires that the individual who served the papers signs a document stating that this has occurred. The forms required for this are available through the self-help service of a court, but hiring a process server can take away the time it takes to find these documents.

What is the advantage of hiring a private process service for divorce papers?

While you may opt to use the local sheriff's office to serve papers for a fee, it is quite possible that they can only operate during business hours. If your spouse works during normal business hours, finding them at home may be nearly impossible. A process server will ensure that your spouse receives the papers, no matter the time or day.

Am I allowed to serve the papers to my spouse on my own?

Not usually. In many states, this is actually illegal. You may be able to mail them via certified mail in some states; however, the only way to ensure that the documents are received is to hire a professional. Your spouse can always refuse to sign for the certified mail, which means the papers will come right back to you.

Can the papers be served to a relative of my spouse?

In some cases, the papers may be served to another individual of age that lives in the same home as your spouse.

Where can the process server deliver the papers?

The process server will be able to deliver the papers to your spouse at any location. This may be at home, work, or even at the grocery store.

What happens if I am unable to find my spouse's address?

If you are unsure of where your spouse lives or works, you may go before the judge and ask for permission to have the service published in the newspaper instead.

To learn more, contact a process service like In Focus Investigations.